Nobody likes having problems with their sewers, but it’s good to know what to look out for in case you need sewer repair in St. Charles.
What Causes Damage to a Sewer?
You’d think that since sewer systems run underground, they’re less susceptible to damage, right? Well, unfortunately, nothing could be further from the truth. A number of things can cause damage to your sewer:
- Tree roots are the #1 cause of damaged sewer pipes. The roots grow towards the pipes because they’re attracted by the nutrients in the wastewater. The force of the roots actually creates cracks through which the roots can extract nutrients—but also result in leaks.
- Burrowing rodents, especially sewer rats, can force their way into sewers by enlarging tiny cracks or loose joints.
- Normal wear and tear due to age can create corrosion and sediment build-up that can result in leaks and blockages.
How Can I Tell If My Sewer Needs Repairing?
There are some surefire signs your sewer needs repairs:
- A bad smell coming from the drains indicates the wastewater’s not being flushed away properly.
- It takes a long time for water to drain, which signals there’s a blockage in the pipes.
- Standing water in the basement indicates the system has backed up.
- Pooling water in your landscaping can indicate that the sewer system has serious leaks.
Who Should I Call to Fix My Sewer?
If you notice any of these signs, call Precision Plumbing immediately. We’ll inspect your sewer with our video camera, which enables us to pinpoint exactly where the problem is and what kind of problem it is (i.e. cracks, corrosion, blockages). Next, we’ll determine whether we can perform water jetting cleaning and/or non-invasive trenchless repair, which basically involves inserting a new sewer pipe through the old one without digging up your yard. In some cases, we might have to dig to perform repairs, but we always try to avoid this in order to minimize the inconvenience to you, the homeowner.
So if you need sewer repair, call Precision today at (630) 280-3221!